Tether price chart
What is Tether
Tether (USDT) is the original stablecoin. The Tether whitepaper was first released all the way back in 2012, although the token itself didn’t find widespread use until it was adopted by the exchange Bitfinex in 2015.
At a time when it was difficult for cryptocurrency exchanges to find reliable banking and fiat currency partners, Tether offered a way around the roadblock for the nascent crypto industry. Offering a token that (according to Tether) was backed 1:1 with actual US dollars, users could trade USDT without the fiat currency itself having to go anywhere.
Cut to 2021 and the stablecoin market is booming, with more than US$100 billion of USD-pegged coins in circulation. But Tether remains the biggest player by far, accounting for more than 60% of the market and essentially functioning as the crypto world’s reserve currency.
Tether price calculator
Beginner's Guide to Digital Currency blog series
Buy Tether instantly with credit/debit card
Advanced digital currency trading with CoinJar Exchange
- Data insightsPowerful data features include live orderbook, market depth and price charts.
- Low feesTaker fees from 0.10% and maker fees as low as 0%.
- Multiple marketsBTC/GBP, ETH/GBP, XRP/GBP, LTC/GBP, ETH/BTC, XRP/BTC and more.
- Safe, secure & trustedWe store at least 90% of digital funds in an offline, wallet backed by high-level encryption.
- Auction windowsTake advantage of the three daily auction windows to get a fairer price.
- Trading desk (OTC)For orders above £25,000 with competitive rates and flexible settlement. Learn more.
How to buy Tether with CoinJar
Open your account and verify your identity
You're done! Now you're all set to buy and sell digital currency!