Bitcoin price chart
What is Bitcoin
Bitcoin was created in 2009 through a whitepaper published by an anonymous entity going by the alias of Satoshi Nakamoto.
It is a decentralised digital currency, which means that it's not owned by any central agency such as a government or a bank, and it's backed by blockchain technology.
The key role of Bitcoin is to allow for more transparent and secure transactions by using cryptography. Whenever a transaction is made using Bitcoin, it's recorded in a publicly available ledger, also known as the blockchain. Because of the blockchain, all transactions are irreversible.
There are only 21 million Bitcoins in total and its token ticker is BTC. As the first cryptocurrency created, it's often used as a trading pair for all altcoins.
If you're new to bitcoin, we think the best way to get started is to purchase a small amount to see how it works for yourself, and to research the technology and risks before trading.
Bitcoin price calculator
Beginner's Guide to Digital Currency blog series
Buy Bitcoin instantly with credit/debit card
Advanced digital currency trading with CoinJar Exchange
- Data insightsPowerful data features include live orderbook, market depth and price charts.
- Low feesTaker fees from 0.10% and maker fees as low as 0%.
- Multiple marketsBTC/AUD, ETH/AUD, XRP/AUD, LTC/AUD, ETH/BTC, XRP/BTC and more.
- Safe, secure & trustedWe store at least 90% of digital funds in an offline, wallet backed by high-level encryption.
- Auction windowsTake advantage of the three daily auction windows to get a fairer price.
- Trading desk (OTC)For orders above $50,000 with competitive rates and flexible settlement. Learn more.
How to sell Bitcoin with CoinJar
Open your account and verify your identity
You're done! Now you're all set to buy and sell digital currency!
Use CoinJar on any device
Easy to use!
CoinJar’s new app has made it so much easier for me to manage my digital currencies, and I especially love the new Swipe section! Keep it up!