Bitcoin price chart
What is Bitcoin
Bitcoin was created in 2009 through a whitepaper published by an anonymous entity going by the alias of Satoshi Nakamoto.
It is a decentralised digital currency, which means that it's not owned by any central agency such as a government or a bank, and it's backed by blockchain technology.
The key role of Bitcoin is to allow for more transparent and secure transactions by using cryptography. Whenever a transaction is made using Bitcoin, it's recorded in a publicly available ledger, also known as the blockchain. Because of the blockchain, all transactions are irreversible.
There are only 21 million Bitcoins in total and its token ticker is BTC. As the first cryptocurrency created, it's often used as a trading pair for all altcoins.
If you're new to bitcoin, we think the best way to get started is to purchase a small amount to see how it works for yourself, and to research the technology and risks before trading.
Bitcoin price calculator
Beginner's Guide to Digital Currency blog series
Advanced digital currency trading with CoinJar Exchange
- Data insightsPowerful data features include live orderbook, market depth and price charts.
- 0% maker feeNo maker or auction fees, and taker fees start from 0.10%.
- Multiple marketsBTC/AUD, ETH/AUD, XRP/AUD, LTC/AUD, ZEC/AUD, ETH/BTC, XRP/BTC and more
- Safe, secure & trustedWe store 98% of digital funds in an offline, wallet backed by high-level encryption
- Auction windowsTake advantage of the three daily auction windows to get a fairer price.
- Trading desk (OTC)For orders above $50,000 with competitive rates and flexible settlement. Learn more.
How to buy Bitcoin with CoinJar
Sign up and create your CoinJar account
Deposit or receive cryptocurrencies into your CoinJar
You're ready to send, receive and store your cryptocurrency!